Mission and Ethos
Sherborne House School aspires to provide a well-balanced and wide-ranging education within a happy and stimulating atmosphere. Every child, and each of their achievements, is valued be it academic, sporting, musical, artistic, or creative. Our children are encouraged to relish and explore every opportunity, and to fully extend their individual talents and interests. We wish to nurture independence and self-confidence, combined with tolerance of the needs, beliefs and attitudes of others. We prepare our children for an exciting future, so that they will leave Sherborne House confidently accepting life’s challenges in a spirit of determination and adventure.
We aim to provide a stimulating and exciting education with wide-ranging opportunities for children to investigate, explore and grow intellectually, morally, spiritually, socially and physically. We will achieve this through a broad and challenging curriculum, which will enable children to learn to be independent thinkers, capable of working logically, creatively, confidently and with enjoyment.
We also aim to ensure that all children and staff understand the four GEMS Core Values of World Citizenship, Forward Thinking, Leadership Qualities and Universal Values, and how they are embedded within the school environment.
- to provide equal opportunities for every member of the school community
- to monitor pupil progress and set appropriate targets for academic and personal development
- to put in place the necessary skills for each child to become an independent and motivated learner with a life-long love of learning
- to ensure every pupil is given the opportunity to fulfil their intellectual potential
- to provide differentiated teaching materials and methods which take account of pupils’ abilities and learning styles
- to enable children to understand and judge their work, so that positive evaluation will encourage the will to succeed and the desire to improve
- to achieve high standards in all areas of school life
- to deliver a balanced, exciting and wide-ranging curriculum differentiated according to individual needs, interests and abilities
- to inspire and enable creativity and imagination
- to encourage self-confidence and understanding by offering a strong foundation in basic skills
- to offer wide-ranging and relevant opportunities which will encourage a sense of well-being and belief in the value and relevance of school life
- to operate appropriate whole-school rewards and sanctions procedures. This allows us to deliver a broad and appropriate programme of personal, social, moral, cultural, spiritual and health education for all pupils.
- to provide INSET opportunities for all members of staff as part of their continuing professional development
Attitudes, Values, and Personal Development
- to ensure each child feels they are a valued member of the school
- to develop optimistic and supportive relationships with peers and adults
- to promote a caring and tolerant environment, in which individual differences are respected and equal opportunities are the right of all
- to nurture enthusiasm and an enjoyment of school life
- to build self-confidence and high self-esteem
- to encourage a sense of responsibility, value and worth
Partnership with Parents
- to create an environment in which all parents are encouraged to be involved in the life and future development of Sherborne House
- to work in partnership with parents to ensure the best possible home and school support for each child
- to foster excellent communication between home and school